Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Recap- Homemade Laundry Detergent

I did it! I made my own batch of homemade laundry detergent... and I now have the components to make a years supply. Yeah! I have tried it out and it works great! It smells clean and has really no odor when it comes out of the dryer. There are no perfumes or dyes to irritate the skin. It really is great. Here are some pics:

These are all of the ingredients.
When you grate the soap it looks like shredded cheddar cheese. I have also heard of chopping up a block and running it through the food processor.

When you melt down the soap melt it super slow.

After you mix the batch and let it sit it will gel up like runny jello.

















A good tip is to funnel a portion into a recycled milk jug or detergent container. Then you just shake the container each time before you add it to your washer instead of stirring the 5 gallon bucket each time.

I also found this site that makes it in the dry form:
http://www.knittinandnoodlin.com/2008/07/homemade-laundry-detergent-a-tutorial/

I then went to Freddies and found a Mr. Steamy two pack for under $14. I just fill one up with water and throw it into the dryer with my wet clothes. This eliminates the need for fabric softener.

No comments:

Post a Comment