Tuesday, October 26, 2010

What do you have a year supply of?

Kevin went to Home Depot last night and got really excited over finding the energy efficient light bulbs on sale for 1/4 of the price. He stocked up and got 6- 12 pack boxes of them.
He was pointing out to one of our friends that now we had a year supply of them. She giggled and said, "Yep, I'm certain they will be very helpful when the Apocolyse hits and the power grids go out."
It was kind of funny, but it did make me stop and think. I now want to make sure I stock up on some candles and matches.

I would like to mention that I do have a year supply of:

Laundry Soap
Light Bulbs
Frozen Berries
Cake Mixes
Frosting (Thanks Debbie for the tip)
Salt
Yams (I have 3 cans of yams that were given to us, so really it is like a 3 yr supply)

I have a 3 month supply of:

Mac & Cheese
Flour
Sugar
Rice
Pastas
Granola Bars (Snack Items)
Oats
Juice Drinks
Corn Bread
Pancake Mix
Pumpkin Pie Filling
Salad Dressing & Various Condiments


I know it is kind of obsure, but most of the foods can be cooked by itself or with only water.

What do you have in your storage?

5 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure we've got a years supply of wheat and a few variety of beans...and maybe rice (I need to do an inventory). Not only do we have an electric wheat grinder, we also have a hand crank one (which will be useful after the apocalypse). I'm a little low on sugar - but that's because we're rotating it and using up the old stuff...I have several months worth of lots of other stuff...but my college kids keep raiding the food storage, so I need to stock back up on some things - which I plan to do after Christmas break...hopefully the apolcalypse will hold off until then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting a hint, I'm being slightly 'mocked' here! (apocalypse warning) :) We have nearly a 2-year supply of most things: wheat, rice, beans, water, canned veggies, canned fruit, freeze dried fruit, freeze dried veggies, freeze dried meats, toilet paper, paper towels, MRE's, dry milk, canned soups... and much more. We feel fairly confident we could absolutely survive...IF we were able to stay here in our home. Which is still under discussion. There is SOOOO MUCH MORE I COULD TELL YOU! IF you want to know, please call & I'll be happy to share. I hate to say this, BUT, IT'S ALMOST TOO LATE TO GET PREPARED...get busy NOW!!! PS: dad says he does NOT have nearly enough tools however!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not mocking, I promise. It is a subject that is buzzing around up here. Kevin was watching a reality show based around the idea. It was really an eye opener.
    I have read 3 popular books lately that have all been post-apocalyptal.
    Our ward has hammered home the issue of being prepared, but less financial pushes and more preparedness. They have even pushed a CERT (Preparing communities to respond in case of a mass incident) class that almost 1/4 of the ward have been involved in.
    I also watched a show on the History channel about the Book of Revelations. For once, the scientists were agreeing with the religious leaders that the possibilities of the prophesies being fulfilled were more than just likely, but just a matter of time.
    I have never felt the need to be so prepared. Everytime I go to the store I have been picking up extras of all I can. I do feel like I have some huge holes in my storage though... like water. I definately do not have enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. re: CERT. I just did a marathon CERT training a couple of weeks ago. It is usually an 8-week course. We did it in two days: fri. from 7 am - 9 pm then sat 7 am - 1 pm. I'm still recovering, but it was worth it. A guy from Utah drove down with his fellow CERT expert to teach us. He's really 'educated' re what is coming down the pike! I'm now studying to get my Ham radio license. I'm about 1/3 way through the book & will take the test asap. So much more to do, but I'm chipping away at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah...thanks for the vote of confidence. Can't say everyone is on board yet, but we will do all we can do to educate everyone we love! I'm soooo proud of you! Keep at it & you will succeed. There's a great little book that focus' on this subject...preparedness! Written by James Wesley Rawles called How to survive the end of the world as we know it. Paperback, cheap. I've almost worn ours out! btw, dad is on board all the way too!

    ReplyDelete