Thursday, February 26, 2009

TMI?


Too much information. That's how I often feel after going home from an inspirational lesson. I'm all fired up to:
  • grow all my own produce

  • do my genealogy - back to Adam, of course

  • have a two years supply of everything my family will ever need

  • have perfect children

You know what I'm talking about. It all sounds so great in theory...and then reality sets in. It's tough to grow all your own produce if you truly despise gardening - and can't afford a gardener. So what do you do?

Compromise.
Work around it.

I personally like to work in the yard two, maybe three times a year. Lucky for me my blueberries thrive on neglect (at least they do here in Washington). I don't have to prune them or water them. In July I just take a bowl and start harvesting. Rinse the little buggers off, pat dry and throw them in a freezer bag. That's manageable for me.

So what's my point? Figure out what you can do...then try and do just a little bit better. Baby steps. Baby steps.

Here's my "baby steps" goal for the week...I am going to try and make up 20 days worth of menus. It should be manageable for me - because I already have a list of about 15 dinner ideas on my fridge right now. I made that list right after I broke my wrist - I had 4 willing "helpers" who couldn't come up with a dinner plan to save themselves. Here's my list (keep in mind I was on painkillers...):

Cornflake chicken/mashed potatoes/gravy/corn
Pot roast/potatoes/gravy
Layered Mexican casserole
tortillas/cornbread
Pork ribs/pasta or rice/salad
Chili/chips/cheese/cornbread
Hamburgers/buns/chips
Calzone/salad or green beans
Spaghetti/breadsticks/salad
Chicken Fajitas
Tacos
Polish sausage/buns/chips
French dip/salad
Soup/rolls
French toast/waffles/German Pancakes
Panini/Grilled cheese/soup
6 can enchilada soup/cornbread

Take-Out
Pizza
Chinese

Breads
cinnamon rolls
coffee cake
garlic herb bread
pumpkin choc. chip bread


Desserts
pumpkin pie dessert
brownies
Guadalupe river dessert
cream puffs
cookies
jam bars
pumpkin pie
cheesecake
lemon bars


This was a list of things that the men/boys in my family are capable of cooking...Now I need to revise this list to include things that I cook.

What's on your menu?

2 comments:

  1. I am fond of our Shells & White Cheddar w/ Broccoli or Corn & Baked Chicken. Also like Keira's Parmesan Ranch Chicken & her Chicken Enchiladas w/ taco seasoning & nix the slimy green chilies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make most of those same dinners. A few more are; homemade Mac n' Cheese, Ritz cracker chicken strips,
    and Potatoe bar. I know they are far too simple, but we must add Rice Crispie Treats.

    I think the Ritz chicken is similar to the cornflake chicken. Melt butter, dip chicken, crush crackers, dip chicken. Bake @ 350 for 25 (ish) minutes.

    ReplyDelete