Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hunker in the Bunker 2009

Several years ago we had some friends in our ward that spent an entire month only eating from their food storage. Yes, I thought they were nuts. Who would want to do something like that? Next month we will be that nutty family.

Starting on May 1st and continuing for the entire month our family will live off of our food/household storage. We discussed it last night at FHE. The boys were surprisingly receptive - although Danny did want to know if that meant we couldn't spend money on other stuff (computer, video games, etc...). After assuring him that we weren't going to include those things we made a menu for a month of meals. Well, we made a menu for most of a month of meals. I still need to fill in 2 or 3 days (Daniel's choice for those days was "mashed potatoes" - I need to add a main dish).

I plan to tape a piece of paper to the refrigerator that says "Things I WISH we had in our food storage!" We will perhaps use it to supplement our shopping list at the end of the month.

I don't plan to go shopping on April 30th and stock up on produce, milk, dry cereal, bread, etc...Nope. It will be a month of powdered milk (since I don't personally drink milk, this won't bother me much) and homemade bread. In fact, I don't think I will go grocery shopping at all next week - we'll just use up the milk and bread that we already have.

Wish us luck - you can contact us through short-wave radio, code phrase: "The Bunker"- later in the month we may change that to: "Tired of powdered milk - I want a Frosty!"

3 comments:

  1. I got my CB up and running so you can check in good-buddy! ..and I know where the nearest Wendy's is, just in case! Via La Bunker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's quite the goal. I'd like to see the "wish" list at the end of the month. I'm impressed that you're not going to go shopping on April 30th, that's what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ham radio. I'd go with a ham radio--it sounds so yummy.

    ReplyDelete