Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Round Foot Gardening

The day after tomorrow our family is going to start our "hunker in the bunker".


I planted some of my deck planters this morning. Just in case we need some extra oxygen in the bunker. Considering the fact that I have a "black thumb", if we actually get anything BUT oxygen (such as vegetables) it will be nothing short of a miracle. I planted one tomato plant, one green pepper, two peas, chives, parsley, and several flowers(that way it won't be SO depressing if the veggies don't grow). I also planted seeds for radishes and spinach.
I don't think we'll be harvesting any vegetables during May - a few herbs maybe - it will be unlikely that we'll get anything else. I will try and take very good care of my little deck garden. Whenever I am wishing for fresh produce, I'll go out and water....
...I hope they don't drown.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Round works too! You'll be amazed at how fast the tomotoes outgrow their assigned space...what I'm saying is you'll probably need some sturdy staking with some 'tie-ups' to hold it all together. We have this ENORMOUS tomato we can bearly contain & still NO TOMATOES! I want to dump it...dad says not yet! But it's taking up A LOT of space. Good luck & I'm sure you know you will need to fertilize more often when you container garden.

    Eagerly looking forward to your day-by-day journey into 'the bunker'-- brave souls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No tomatoes? What's up with that? That sounds more like me than like you.

    I like to have my tomatoes in containers - I have less problems with blight. I plan on planting one more tomato plant - but I want to look around and see if I can find pear tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete