Wednesday, May 27, 2009

From Trash to Treasure


So, I got a call on Monday from a very thrifty friend of mine that she was wrapping up her garage sale & would I like to pick through a bit before she hauled it off to G-dub. Now, I don't know what this says about me, but whatever, I get a lot of free stuff because I am cheap. She had just been given a hand-me-down day bed from a family with 6 kids of which 4 had used it. It was a little too old-fashioned for her and missing a couple of bolts. Mind you, most of her wardrobe is from the '80s, & she carries it off. Ever the optimist, & knowing that a little black spray paint goes a long way, this is the result. I took the tacky brass off the bed and painted them silver with left over paint. Then roughed up the already roughed up '80's wood and gave it a new black shine. Total cost $10.22 for paint, $0 for bolts (because I am my father's daughter), $0 for the bed.
Niiiice!

6 comments:

  1. Putty and paint makes things what they ain't. Isn't that one of our family mottos? Now if you add new hardware to that it's even more true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Tia! Too bad you only have one girl (look who's talking?!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great bed for her little room-awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a little icing on the cake, I just sold her old bed for $15. $10.22 for the new bed $1 for old bed. I just made $3.78 by upgrading Ana's bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just 'bustin' my buttons', I'm so proud! Being CHEAP is an attribute in our family! Beautiful job! Dad will be proud too, (just as soon as I tell him after picking him up at the airport today!) Still can't wait to see you all!

    ReplyDelete