Monday, May 4, 2009

Hunker in the Bunker report


(shhh. keep your voice down).

Day 4 in the bunker.
Supplies are holding out well. We shared a meal made with some of our storage yesterday with a young mother and her children (Cory is in Washington D.C. - secret mission). Tonight we have guests again. How long will our food hold out?

Actually, we're doing fine so far. That's not too surprising - I'll be more interested in seeing how we are doing after a couple of weeks of no shopping.

I can already see that we are going through jam at a much higher rate than previously. That's due to the increased frequency of having warm, homemade bread coming out of the oven. Butter and honey are likewise going a little faster. I'm a little concerned about the butter. When it's gone, it's gone.

A friend of mine at church told me that she had ordered a can of dehydrated butter. It sounds weird, but hey...if it's any good I'd be willing to give it a go. Unfortunately she hasn't opened it to try it out. Has anyone else tried it? I'd like to know if it's any good...or just a good "idea" (better in thought than in actual practice).

3 comments:

  1. Dude, sis. Better you than me. Thanks for taking one for the team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should have a helmet of some sort. Circa WWII of course - maybe skip the smell but the worn look could work for you. You are a better person than I - as I sit here and eat nuked red vines...yum. That's food storage, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red vines would totally work as food storage. I suspect they never actually go bad...they just get hard. Reminds me of Peeps.

    ReplyDelete