Friday, March 20, 2009

Costco Samples

Who doesn't love samples at Costco? Around the holidays you can practically get a full meal wandering around the store. Yesterday I tried the hash browns. I'm not saying they're as good as homemade...but they aren't bad.

One large carton of dehydrated hash browns(with 66 1/2 cup servings) was $5.39. To rehydrate simply add equal parts potatoes and boiling water and let sit for 30 minutes. The instructions say to drain them - but the batch I made didn't have any leftover liquid. After that you can fry them. They had a surprisingly decent texture.

I'm wondering if these might also be good in a soup. Hmm. I might have to do a little research and development on that. Luckily I also picked up some "Better than Bouillon" ($6.89 for 16oz. jar). Now to find a way to use them together.

What have you sampled at Costco...and liked?

4 comments:

  1. Gone are the days that Costco was just up the street. I think that we're saving money by not going as often. I'm a sucker for the samples.

    I think the hash browns would be good in a "Baked Potato Soup".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our's had foccacia, pom-pom juice and chicken wings. My bread is better, the juice okay but still too spendy and Jim does better wings.

    I'm thinking that if you add the potatoes to a soup to do it near the end so you don't have mush. A nice beef & potato sounds good. Or a cornbeef hash if you have left over corned beef. Or potato pancakes served with apple sauce and/or sour cream. Or a potato crusted quiche - yummmier than a regular crust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since my diet is so restricted now, I have to be careful what I sample. But recently had REALLY YUMMY Stoneridge Orchards Whole Dried Peach Wedges. They are slightly sugared and excellent. Also love the new "sweet" dinner rolls they make (sort of like the Hawaiian bread type.) Dad is a 'pro' at the sampling game! He always has me take two (even if I can't eat it), so he has his and mine too! It's a challenge for him to not miss a single sample! And yes, I can make a meal out of them, especially with my tiny tummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't know me. I'm a friend of Crashhanna. I just wanted to let you know that I was really excited to see the picture in your post. That's the same bouillon I use, but I get it at Walmart @ 5 or 6 dollars for 8 oz. I've never seen it at Costco. You can bet I'll be on the hunt for it there now. Thanks for the inadvertent tip.

    ReplyDelete