Saturday, March 7, 2009

Slow Cooker Saturday

One of the things I love about Tamale Pie is how forgiving it is. I found a recipe for Tamale Pie made in a crockpot on the "year of crockpotting" blog. This is my variation of it. When Alex asked me what I was making for dinner I told him "tamale pie - it's another one of those Mexican dishes that uses the pretty much the same ingredients - just in a different order". He said "Peasant food".

So here's my version. This time. It will be different next time.

Filling:

1 lb. ground beef - cooked and drained (I put a little garlic salt on it while it was cooking)
1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
1 can corn - drained
1 can diced tomatoes (you could puree them if kids don't like the texture)
1 small can diced green chilies
1 T chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
diced onion to taste (I like fresh, but used dehydrated because I can't chop onions with my arm in a cast)
1/2-1 cup shredded cheddar/jack cheese

Dump all of the above in a crockpot. I used my 1981 crockpot - I think it holds about 4 quarts. Stir well.

I was going to use a homemade cornmeal topping, but oops...no cornmeal. I made up 2 cups of Marie Callendar's cornbread mix with 1 cup water and dumped that on top (after lightly packing down the filling).

I covered and cooked for a little less than 2 hours on high, at which point I propped the lid slightly open with a chopstick so that the moisture could vent. I continued cooking for a total cooking time of 2 hours 45 minutes. The cornbread was cooked all the way through and we ate it up.
Judging:
Alex - 8.5 - "it's good." (he had thirds)
Steve - 7.0 - "it's edible and I'd have it again" (he had seconds - but admits that tamale pie isn't really a favorite of his anyway)
Me - 9.5 for execution, 7.0 for taste. I liked how easy this was - and how food storage friendly. I do like a good tamale pie but this one was a bit so-so as far as taste. I think I would doctor it up a little next time - fresh onions, diced green peppers, maybe some olives....I would also use my homemade cornmeal crust. Oh yeah, I'll be making this again.


3 comments:

  1. Why does all the good stuff have beans? And why won't my husband do beans? Riddle me that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the first time I've made tamale pie with beans...They are totally not neccesary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the tomatoes necessary? I have just officially discovered that I dislike cooked tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete