Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dinner in Five...

Step one: break your arm. Either one will do.
Step two: ask husband to "come here for just a sec...I need a little help" (batting eyelashes is optional at this point - with your arm broken it's practically unnecessary)

Ingredients:
6 lb. bone-in ham
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup real maple syrup
juice from two cans pineapple (or 2 cups pineapple juice)

Have husband place the ham, flat side down, in a large crockpot. Rub in the brown sugar, pour on syrup then juice. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Come home from 4 hours of church to an awesome aroma. Baste the ham once or twice after 4 hours. This was another great recipe from "a year of crockpotting" blog.

I just so happened to have the real maple syrup on hand (we are happy to use Mrs. Butterworth's imitation syrup on our waffles, but NOT on the Thanksgiving turkey - this syrup was left over from that meal). Very, very easy meal. It took about 5 minutes to put together and 5 hours to cook. The ham cut like butter. Nice. And from now on I can have Steve make ham.



3 comments:

  1. Did you tent with foil or was your crock pot lid high enough?

    That looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done this one before with carrots thrown in (maple glazed at that!) - my family loovveess it! And I love the clean up, um, 1 pot - you bet! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My crockpot was just tall enough - barely. I like the carrot idea...I'll have to remember that for next time.

    ReplyDelete