Sunday, March 1, 2009

Wanted: Manifesto Ghostwriter


Last night Steve and I went to an activity at the church. It was a presentation entitled "Seeking Out Simplicity" given by Franklin Covey consultant James Cathcart. He talked about the meaning of the words "important" and "urgent". Something is important if it carries consequence. For instance spending time with your family is important because it helps to build better relationships. Urgent is something that is compelling or pressing - in need of immediate attention. Urgent is NOT the same as important. Two-day sales are an example of something that could be considered urgent but not important. The two can and do coincide (like say, when I broke my arm) - but we need to know the difference - so that we don't get sucked into running around "putting out fires" and neglect the truly important stuff. Sometimes we just need to say "no".

What's important? Well, that's the real question. Bro. Cathcart challenged everyone to draft their own mission statement - as a way to clarify our purpose and narrow down what's really important to us. He gave a few examples - the first was quite lovely and longish - it was written by a poet (I want to say Browning...but I might be wrong). The second was "I want to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am". The last one was my favorite. It is God's mission statement:

Moses 1:39
39 For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

Now that's a tough act to follow. Short, sweet and to the point.

What's your mission statement? (or should I be asking for your manifesto?) I could use some more ideas.

6 comments:

  1. If you thing you can or think you can't You are Right! I'm going to think I CAN!!!
    Another one by Eleanor Roosevelt- No one can make you mad without your permission. I won't give anyone permission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Where there is charity and wisdom, there is neither fear nor ignorance.” Francis of Assissi
    or...
    “He who wished to secure the good of others, has already secured his own.” Confusius
    or...
    “If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble.” Bob Hope
    I like 'em all

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making mission statements.
    I also love changing them.
    The last time I bothered, it was a personal statement (nothing to do with parenting, etc.)
    Let's see: I will always have a good book to read, beauty to create, and people to love.
    For parenting: I/we (I don't think I consulted Cory when I wrote this) are building character and competence in our children while encouraging them to have a happy childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I went to a huge meeting here in Portland with work and one of the speakers focused on the diagram you have. It is amazing how many things we put in the important & urgent box that don't belong there. So my mission statement is "Work hard... Play hard!"

    ReplyDelete