Monday, March 2, 2009

Dueling Crockpots

I was talking to Sherri this morning and she said that when she told someone that she owned 2 crockpots they were surprised. "What do you need 2 crockpots for?"

I have two words for her: Dinner. Dessert.

Theoretically I could cook a 5 course meal with the crockpots that I own. In my own defense, they are all different sizes except the two pictured above...and I MIGHT get rid of my old one on the right. If it doesn't perform tonight, out it goes.

Sooo....what's for dinner? I'm making a variation on the Six Can Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe that I found through Suzanne. I'm calling mine "taco soup". I left out the chicken and substituted in a pound of ground beef that I had precooked with taco seasoning. With tortilla chips and optional cheese it pretty much makes a whole meal.

I made a double batch of soup. I plan on freezing the leftovers....but not in the door of the freezer.

Dessert (or rather FHE treat) is going to be brownies - and whatever Steve brings home to top them with. Knowing Steve, and believe me - I do, it will be ice cream. I found the idea on the crockpotting blog (see sidebar), but what really convinced me was this video.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I guess if I were in a pinch AND didn't have an oven handy AND was dying for some brownies...I might try the crock pot method, but I NEVER want to wait that long for my chocolate! (That is, when I get to eat chocolate again...too much potassium to eat it now!) But your soup looked great & I'm always up for two meals for the work of one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS maybe adding water to the crock pot would hasten the process; steaming?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love crock pot meals...the aroma that meets you as you enter the door is worth the wait.Plus it might get your husband hungry for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I think I'm going to have a crockpot meal tonight. Off to find a recipe.

    ReplyDelete