Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Happy Accident...With a Dash of Prevarication

It's hard to get fancy with cooking when you only have one arm to work with...so my crockpots have been doing the "heavy lifting" this past week. My family, for the most part, is fairly tolerant about meals (Danny being the lesser part, usually). Today's effort was a little bit of a gamble. I had the leftover ham bone from Sunday's awesome ham, and I wanted to make soup with it. Usually I would use it to make lentil soup - everyone in my family will eat it - Nathan especially seems to love it. Well, my lentil soup recipe calls for some chopped onion and carrots. Chopping vegetables isn't on my current list of activities. So I tried something different.

Beanland Soup with Ham

2-3 cups "Beanland" mix, rinsed (I picked it up in the bulk section of Winco - it doesn't seem to really have beans in it - it did have a couple of varieties of lentils, split peas, rice, barley, and maybe two or three other things)
8-10 cups of water (you can add more later on if it looks too thick)
4 chicken bouillon cubes
small handful dehydrated onion
seasoning - I used rosemary, thyme, parsley and a little pepper

Dump it all in a crockpot and cook for 4 or 5 hours.


I wouldn't bother to post this recipe except that Daniel ate 3 bowls of it. One of those AFTER I admitted to the onions and he figured out there were split peas in it. The hardest thing about making this (for me) was unwrapping the stinking bouillon cubes.

3 comments:

  1. Do yourself a favor and buy 'Better Than Boullion"; in comes in a jar and is a paste. Has great flavor & goes a long way. I use it for everything from making sauce/(or gravy as dad likes to call it) or adding some to top ramen. I add it to stews and soups as well, Gives it a hearty flavor. Also good to just drink hot in a mug! I hate opening those little cubes too and the bad news is that they are mostly salt and not much flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know Mom.

    Debbie...I love a good "Beanland"(the name is killing me), I'm thinking that if I went to look for that I might have to go to the "all natural" store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No beans in beanland...sounds like a Dominguez family motto.

    That or "Mexican enough".

    ReplyDelete