Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Deferred Maintenance


When my kids were young I had a tough time keeping my house clean. That is probably a law of nature....I think it relates to entropy or maybe chaos theory...anyway, now that my children are able to clean up after themselves and do chores by themselves, I have flattered myself that keeping my house clean was easy. Yeah, right.


Since breaking by wrist nearly 7 weeks ago I have been chagrined at how fuzzy around the edges my house has become. It's time to come up with a plan of action - seldom before have I had the urge to "spring clean" like I do now. Considering the fact that even when (and if) my cast come off next week my arm will still be fairly painful, I need a carefully considered plan of attack. Playing into my hands is the fact that Alex and Nathan have 1 1/2 weeks off of school - starting this Thursday. One or two rooms a day. We can do it.

Do you have a plan of attack? What works for you? What doesn't?

6 comments:

  1. Trickery & Bribing. When asked my kids will tell people they don't have chores. But, Connor cleaned the inside of both cars, Lauren vacuumed and Tylor scrubbed out the garbage cans - no chores here. The bribery comes in when my kids want something - you get something (think playdate or treat) when _blank__ is done. When they come tell me it's done I ask, "Is it Mommy clean or your clean?" - it's getting less and less that I have to actually go check. It is a win/win situation with hardly any complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask Tia for pointers. She has this wicked organized plan each Spring break that turns the whole house inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone want to start a progressive house cleaning service? Let's start at mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shoot, the best I can hope for is a distant third...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring Break is Spring Cleaning for our family. For each non-Sabbath day we pick a room from a jar. Today are the bathrooms. Everything comes out, we do maintenance (touch up paint etc) & then a thorough cleaning from top down. We sort through everything that has come out & only put back what should go. We cleaned Ana's tiny 9x11 room & took 3 full kitchen bags to G Dub & 1 bag to garbage & got few bigger items. It is pretty again :)

    ReplyDelete